Saturday 9 August 2014

Where it all began...

The first time I can remember being really excited by baking was in Year 8 (aged 13), completing a Food Technology project in which we had to design and then make a "celebration cake." I can still remember the pride I felt then, piping bag in hand squeezing wobbly heart shapes in buttercream onto a sticky fondant-covered sponge. Once finished, we all presented our cakes together, a jumble of squashed and lopsided cakes with a liberal helping of sprinkles. 

Then the marks were given back... 

A B-?! WHAT?! Clearly, something was wrong here... 

How could the cake that I thought was so beautiful not have received the recognition it deserved?

(In reality a B- was probably quite kind, as to any other unbiased eye it probably looked like it had been dropped on the floor and then trodden in a few times before being scooped back up and served...) 

~

Anyway, that was a nice little story. I wish I could say that it was the catalyst to a lifetime of baking, all in an effort to prove that teacher wrong and prove that my cakes deserved A's. However, sadly I cant. 

The truth is that I didn't really do very much baking until I got to University, where a certain piece of assessed work changed all that. 

But that is another story for another day...


Love, Chloe xx


~  Follow me on Twitter @CrumbsCakeBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment